Helping the Hungry in Greenfield with the Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen
Globally, hunger is a problem affecting millions of people. Although it can feel like it is worlds away, we have homeless and hungry neighbors right here in Greenfield. With the help of the Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen, volunteers like you are feeding the hungry right here in our own community this holiday season and throughout the year.
A soup kitchen memorializing the heart of Kenneth Butler
The Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen was inspired by the spirit of former Greenfield fire chief Kenneth Butler. Spreading acts of kindness everywhere he went, Butler dedicated his life to helping those in need through truck stop ministries, prison ministries and taking in homeless people. The soup kitchen opened its doors in 2009 with the help of many devoted volunteers, giving their time and hearts in Butler’s memory.
Feeding the hungry one meal at a time
For those in need, the soup kitchen runs every day Monday through Friday. Lunch is served between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and dinner runs from 5-7 p.m. Over 2,000 meals are served from the hearts of their volunteers every month and they are working to improve the lives of 1 in 3 children suffering from food insecurity right here in our community. Those in need can also catch a bus from the soup kitchen to a one of the warming centers in Greenfield, which is especially needed as the weather gets colder.
Want to help the hungry in our community?
The Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen runs on volunteers and donations so it is important for them to get help from Greenfield’s caring neighbors. There are many ways to get involved if you are looking to donate your time, money or goods to a worthy cause:
- Volunteer to serve up meals, cook in the kitchen or help with other tasks. Call 317-462-9900 or head to their website for more details.
- Check out their wish list for items that are needed at the soup kitchen. The list includes not only canned goods but they also ask for fresh produce if you have some on hand.
- Keep up to date with community events, such as Euchre Night and Trivia Night, all benefitting the Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen. You can have fun AND spread the love!
- Monetary contributions are always greatly appreciated and can help contribute to the upkeep of the building as well as purchasing food for the soup kitchen. Head on over to the online giving page to make your contribution this season.
- Check out the sponsorship opportunities for fundraising events.
- Join the Kilowatt Krusher Club to help them with their monthly utility bills.
- If you are doing your holiday shopping online, choose the Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen as your Amazon Smile charity of choice! Amazon will give .5% of the proceeds of your eligible purchases to the soup kitchen!
The Kenneth Butler Memorial Soup Kitchen says its mission is, “Kindness is love with its workboots on.” Every day, volunteers and team members at the soup kitchen live out this mission by putting their love into action right here in Greenfield. Help them feed our hungry and homeless neighbors and friends by donating your time, money or food this holiday season!