Greenfield and the Health & Heritage Stellar Region
First, let’s kick off with the Greenfield and the Health & Heritage Stellar Region! They have spent the last two years planning and designing to really hit the ground running this January.
Additionally, they will be going out for bid on a second Main Street Revitalization facade grant (MSRP) for 6 – 7 historic downtown buildings. The first MSRP project from 2018 is now complete and renovated 10 historic buildings. Between the two MSRP projects, a total of $1 million was received in CDBG grant dollars from the State of Indiana and with the local match added in, a total of $1.5 million was injected into the renovation of our significant local historic architecture in a five-year period. Stellar also granted $100,000 in local match dollars to the Grain Elevator renovation project and two historic Fortville structures, as part of Stellar.
Greenfield and the Health & Heritage Stellar Region 2021 Happenings and Events to Watch for:
- Virtual groundbreaking of Depot Street Park in January, along with continued construction of the $2.3 million park and amphitheater.
- Our Inclusive Park will be finished in 2021 as well. They hope to have an on-site grand opening when the Franklin Ball Park opens.
- In 2021, Stellar will partner with Greenfield Parks & Recreation to help build the Brandywine Trail connector from Brandywine Park to Pennsy Trail
- The EPA Brownfield Grant focusing on cleaning up properties along the Old National Road and the Pennsy Trail in the downtown area will begin.
- A $125,000 an Owner Occupied Repair program for needy seniors and families who can’t afford critical home repairs such as roofs, entry porches and furnaces will launch.
- Shirley, Indiana continues work on a $1.6 million dollar trail as part of Stellar Regional projects.
- Additionally, Hancock County is looking at renovations to the Memorial Building in Greenfield and Stellar will continue to design the Riley Literary Trail which will be built in 2023.
Greenfield Parks & Recreation
We may be in the chill of winter, but there is still so much to enjoy outdoors in Greenfield! The City of Greenfield’s Parks & Recreation Department is committed to enhancing the quality of life for all residents and visitors and we hope you are getting out and enjoying our many parks and trails this winter.
Greenfield Parks & Recreation New for 2021 Upcoming Events:
- Men’s 3 v 3 basketball tourney – Jr. Bracket & Adult on February 20
- New playground equipment installation spring/summer 2021 at Pennsy Trail Kids Park, located on the Pennsy Trail just west of Center Street
- Prom Night 1990s style to be held April 10
- New Parks software coming in 2021 which will make registering for events easier and more convenient.
- Depot Street Park Opening Summer 2021
- 1950s Style Prom Night on September 11
- New connector trail opening fall 2021 from Pennsy Trail to Brandywine Park
- Haunted Trail in October
Greenfield Main Street
2020 was an amazing year of pivoting for Greenfield Main Street and still bringing socially distant and safe events to our historic downtown. A big fist bump to their team! Check out all the fun they will be hosting in 2021 below!
- Touch A Truck (March 13)
- Mutts on Main (May 15)
- Bikes in Bloom (May)
- Ice Cream Festival (August)
- Graze Greenfield (September)
- Scarecrow Stroll (October 24 – 31)
- Turkey Day 5K (November 25)
- Small Business Saturday (November 27)
- Hometown Christmas (December)
James Whitcomb Riley Boyhood Home and Museum
James Whitcomb Riley Boyhood Home and Museum opens for the 2021 season on April 1, but did you know tours are available during the off-season by appointment?
Here is their new for 2021 event line-up:
- Second Friday Open Mic Poetry Night (April 9)
- The Art of Charlie Parish (May 14)
- Annual Pixy/Goblin Tea Party (June 27)
- Second Friday Singer/Songwriter Event (July 9)
- Second Friday Meet the Artist (August 13)
- Matthew Aaron Opening Night (August 27)
- Ben Hur Book Discussion (September 10)
- Ben Hur Silent Film – Ricks Theatre (September 18)
- Lew Wallace Presentation (September 25)
- Riley Festival (October 7-10)
- Festival of Jack-o-Lanterns with Hancock County Arts (October 24 – 31)
- Pumpkin Carving Workshop (October 24)
- Scarecrow Stroll with Greenfield Main Street (October 24-31)
- Christmas Stories and Poetry (December 10)
Greenfield Area Chamber of Commerce
- More business information coming soon…
Cheers to 2021! Keep checking back. We’ll be adding even more updates in the coming months.