Enjoy a spa day
When it comes to self-care, many of us think of having a pampering spa day… and for good reason! Taking time to make yourself feel your best on the outside can help you feel your best on the inside too. And services like facial/esthetics and massage therapy can do wonders for your relaxation during a stressful winter season. If you are looking for local spa treatments, check out these salons and day spas in Hancock County:
- Something New at Tiffany’s in Greenfield offers the full package for a spa day with hair, nails, massage, and professional esthetics
- Michelle’s Hidden Spa in Fortville provides skincare treatments and massage therapy from a licensed esthetician and massage therapist
- Posh Salon in Greenfield offers creative hair, nails and makeup services, including lashes and brow treatments, as well as professional facials for that cracked winter skin
- A Focused Touch Day Spa Greenfield provides clients with massage, spa treatments, skincare for a luxury day spa experience without the luxury prices
Warm up with local coffee
The cold days of winter call for a warm cup of coffee, tea or yummy hot chocolate — don’t forget the whipped cream. In Hancock County, you can pick up a cup of your favorite java from a local coffee shop like Hitherto Coffee and Gaming Parlor or Lincoln Square Pancake House to enjoy the ambiance while you sip on something sweet. As you take in the scenergy, take some time to reflect on your mental wellness and maybe journal about how you’re feeling. Studies show that journaling has a number of benefits, including stress reduction, improving self-confidence, strengthening memory and more!
Get outside in nature
Hancock County is home to more than 10 local parks and nature preserves, and once you’ve warmed up with a hot drink (or maybe take one along) you can get outside for some self-care to enjoy the beauty of winter. Even a leisurely walk can boost your endorphins, making you feel happier during a bleak February day. And if the winter sun is shining, all the better! If you want to turn your self-care day into a snow day for the whole family, check out the sledding hill at Riley Park for a fun-filled activity everyone will enjoy.
Make time for a workout
If you aren’t up for an outdoor walk, why not make time for an indoor one? Getting your blood pumping with a winter workout can be a great way to give yourself some self-care. Hancock County has a number of local wellness centers and gyms, including:
- Hancock Wellness Centers with locations in Greenfield, McCordsville, and New Palestine and features like personal training, indoor pools, massage and physical therapy as well as kids programming
- Greenfield Fitness with personal attention and a variety of daily classes & programs
- Planet Fitness in Greenfield, with memberships including group fitness classes, HydroMassage and tanning beds
- Anytime Fitness with locations in Greenfield and New Palestine, and features such as 24/7 gym access, personal training, and fitness assessments
Look into mental health support
Do you need more than just a self-care day? Many people in cold climates can suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder during the darker days of winter. Some of the symptoms can include feeling depressed, losing interest in hobbies, having low energy, trouble sleeping and weight gain or cravings. If you recognize these symptoms in yourself or a loved one, it may be time to get help from a mental health professional. The Support Navigators at Healthy365 can connect you with local resources so you can feel like yourself again.
[Photo Credit: Something New At Tiffany’s Salon & Spa]